Wednesday, March 5, 2008

why I got the kitties

I've taken a little heat for getting the kitties. Okay, they were expensive (800 for 2 kitties). I had to drive to Chicago and meet an unknown breeder from Iowa (as luck would have it, she was not a serial killer). They're not rescued (they're registered Ragdolls). I don't need them (debatable). There absolutely is a reason for these kitties.
Each time one of my girls has left the nest, I've been so lost. Of course we raised them to be independant and find their own way. Still, there's an empty place in my home when they fly. And my heart hurts. And it gets quieter. And then I'm the only girl.
So, my youngest moved out in December. Very exciting for her, very lonely for me. The oldest has been out for a few years, and has brought a new joy into my life (that's another blog). I told my husband I need to have a pet! I desperately needed noise, cuteness, being needed and loved, tricks to laugh at, babies to worry over. All the things I shared with my girls.
My search started. I looked at all the different breeds. I looked at pounds and shelters. I talked to other cat people. I don't like my stuff to be just like other people's stuff, so pound kitties were out--too common. Hairless kitties were out for their devoid of cuteness. Aggressive breeds out. Breeds prone to illness, out. I fell in love with Ragdolls for their disposition, their coats, their cuteness. And I found a breeder who was downsizing. A match made in heaven...believe it or not, I do pray that they will be a good match for our family.
They've been with us 2 weeks, and I feel so much better. Of course kitties can't replace people! But I'm calmer, I'm not depressed, I have someone to laugh at, someone who needs me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heat? Who would give you heat for bringing home kitties?!?!?!

I totally understand the need for their companionship. I don't know what I'd do without my menagerie. They're lifesavers.

So I need to come to your house soon to take tons of pictures. The pictures Phil sent are SO cute! I can't wait to see them. I bet they're growing like weeds :)

I have the feeling they're wrapping you around their little paws. They'll soak up all the love you want to give them. Yeah, you did the right thing. You need them, and they need you. Your life is better for having them home with you. Probably raises the homey factor, too!

Love you!!!

SHAWNI said...

HOWDY DIANE
I LOVE THIS BLOG. I'M NOT EVEN SURE WHAT IT IS.LOOKS KINDA LIKE A WEBSITE THINGY...I'M JUST THAT TECHIE.
I CAN IDENTIFY WITH YOUR LOVE OF KITTIES. I LOVE CRITTERS AND NEED SOMEONE TO LOVE AND TOUCH SO MY 2 DOGGIES AND PYGMY GOAT GET BOTH!
CONGRATULATIONS ON BECOMING A KITTY-MAMA AND ON THIS COOL BLOG.

Anonymous said...

The little ones are cute and are named "Trouble" and "Commotion"

aka "thing 1" and "thing 2"

By the way I still need you.

If I put some liver around my neck will you play with me?

luv

pc